Monday, April 23, 2012

(blue) - ROCKING!

I had a double session at Blue Rock yesterday, first I dived with my students from Maties course. As per usual, I learnt more from teaching than from my own diving, and especially in light of the fact that I am leaving on my Freediving mission for this year very soon, the lessons and insights came as a timely reminder for my own safety awareness and protocols. Then once I had done with my course duties I stayed in the water and worked on my own training. First I did some partials and was pleased to see that what I had done two weeks ago prior to my
cold-related rest was still there and that I had retained what I learnt, it had been no fluke. Then I did a dive with Roelof, his first to 30m, it was good to do some vertical work with him, we have been restricted to the pool since he arrived. Roelof will be my surface assistant through the next six weeks and it was good for him to get some quality work in with me so that we can develop an in-water understanding. This will be crucial in the location that we will be diving. After that I did a long hang at the bottom of blue rock, it was very cold and very dark, I nearly aborted before breathing up due to the cold, the water temperature in Blue Rock has dropped early this year and I was already shivering, but I decided that I was still strong enough and I was eager to get a confidence booster in after my two week rest.
I am going to see if I can find a way to load the profiles of my D4 onto this blog so I can share my experiences on the forthcoming campaign with followers of this blog and the campaign. The main thing after the dive yestersday was to make sure I warmed up properly and that I cleaned and dried out my ears well, the water at the bottom of the lake can be a bit hectic at this time of year, and one of my sponsors Craig from Q20 has been battling an ear infection this past week after diving there with me two weeks ago. If you let the water lie in your ears for a while, it comes back to bite you hard.

I am putting some final preps in place before I leave on my trip, and things are hectic here getting ready to launch the campaign. That website needs completion! I also got two new sponsors today. And some great new additions to my safety team, locals from Durban, very good divers, one that has also gone through my training, so I am feeling a lot more comfortable having him on my boat!


No comments: